Information for Parents
Each Section has its own uniform. For the Beavers this is a turquoise sweatshirt, for Cubs a green sweat shirt and Scouts a teal green shirt. All sections wear the Group scarf, which is Lemon, together with Navy trousers and dark smart shoes. There are also T-shirts/ shorts/fleeces etc but they are entirely optional.
The uniform may be purchased online from shop.scouts.org.uk or alternatively the nearest stockists are:
- Page’s Schoolwear in Maidstone www.pages-schoolwear.co.uk
- Phillips Man’s Shop in Cranbrook www.phillipsmansshops.com
When a child joins a section we advise that the uniform is only purchased when they are ready to make their promise (usually after 3/4 weeks). When a child moves from one section to another they may wear their old uniform until they acquire the new uniform. The scarf should not be worn until the child has made their promise in each section.
One Group Scarf will be provided when a child first joins the Group free of charge
DBS (DISCLOSURE & BARRING SERVICE) CHECKS
All leaders and regular helpers with the Group, who are in direct contact with the children, are required by Law to complete a DBS check. Once a person has DBS clearance it means that they can help us in all sorts of ways that will benefit the Group but not tie them to a weekly commitment. For example, we might need help with transport to an activity venue. If you have a DBS clearance we can put 2 or more children in your car.
These forms are available from Section Leaders.
PERSONAL INFORMATION FORMS
As well as the forms relating to subscriptions and Gift Aid (see under Group Management), please see the link below for the Personal Information form which provides us with important health and contact information that we may need in case of an emergency.
We also have a Marden specific form to capture information from new member’s and their parents, and identify where you will be able to help the Group, again link is below:
Please complete these forms and return to your Section Leader and notify us of any changes thereafter.
We often take photographs at camp and other events to publicise our group. Please let your section leader know if you have any objections to photographs being taken and used.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?
- Become a leader, assistant, instructor or help at meetings – You don’t need special skills just enthusiasm and commitment. Training is provided. Why not visit a meeting to find out what is involved?
- Become a parent representative – Put your views forward about how the Group should develop. Executive Committee Meetings are roughly every six weeks.
- Help with fund raising – To keep the Group running effectively requires a great deal of money. We have a HQ to run and maintain and camping equipment to purchase and renew. Please support us by joining the fund raising team or help by taking part in the numerous fund raising events we run each year.
- Help with section activities – There is always a need for help at activities such as providing transport, putting up tents, catering or making a few buns. Most sections run a parent rota for help at meetings. Please make sure you help when it’s your turn.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM)
The Group AGM is held each year (usually June), to which any one can attend – executive members, leaders, helpers, cubs, beavers, scouts, parents, members of the public etc. This meeting ratifies the accounts and presents the achievements of the last year as well as electing a new Executive. We strongly encourage parents to attend so that they can have their say in the running of the Group and they also get to see who has won the Sectional awards!
As well as being available at the AGM, further copies are available on request from the Chairman or the Treasurer.
As a Group we ask all members to support just 2 annual parades, St. George’s Day (the nearest Sunday to 23rd April) in Maidstone and Remembrance Day (the nearest Sunday to 11th November) in Marden.
We now use this website where you can find up-to-date information on upcoming Section Nights or Group Events. You can also find any Personal Information forms, Gift Aid & Standing Order forms on the site along with any letters that may have been put through the wash!
We have a Group webshop:
Here you can then visit many of your favourite sites (such as Amazon, Marks & Spencer, Tesco Direct and many more) and shop as normal for the same prices but we also get paid commission!
We have recently setup accounts on both Facebook and Twitter, with the aim to keep you up-to-date with what we are all getting up to as much as we can!
On Twitter follow: @mardenscouts
Join our Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/MardenScoutGroup/
We hope that you find this information useful. If you do have any further queries or have any suggestions please contact us on email@example.com or speak to your Section Leaders.
You can also visit www.scouts.org.uk for more details on Scouting in the UK.