COVID-19 – Information
Given the current ban on face-to-face Scouting and the ongoing COVID-19 / Coronavirus situation, this page provides details on what is available for all member’s of the Group via our own Sections as well as nationally to keep busy with Scouting during this challenging time. We will add more as and when it is available.
The Great Indoors
We know the coming days and weeks are going to be difficult for families across the UK, as the spread of Covid-19 causes schools to close. As the experts in developing skills and bringing adventure to young people, we want to do what we can to help.
While we normally love the great outdoors, we’ve pulled together some inspired indoor activity ideas (if we do say so ourselves). Keep your kids learning new skills and having fun (and avoid hearing ‘I’m bored’ every 30 seconds) all in #TheGreatIndoors. Follow this link:
We had loads of you joining in the fun with the #CampAtHome, and those involved were even part of a World Record! Our Facebook page is full of pics and videos of everyone’s great adventures during April while camping at home, go over and take a look.
Each Scout/Cub/Beaver who took part also had the chance to earn a “night away” badge, and were asked to :
- Pack a bag for an overnight stay
- Build a den at home / pitch a tent in the garden / hang up a hammock (whatever you can)
- Sleep in your shelter of choice
- Build a ‘campfire’ (real or virtual)
- Help with cooking a meal for you and your family
- Complete any 5 of the challenges below:
- Fit as many different things into a matchbox (how many did you fit?)
- Build the tallest freestanding tower out of household recyclable materials (how tall was it?)
- Tie 3 different types of knots into one piece of string / rope
- Draw a picture of you and your #CampAtHome camp
- Spell out the word “Marden” using natural materials
- Catch an egg that is thrown to you without breaking it! (how far apart can you get between thrower and catcher?!)
- Say your Beaver / Cub / Scout Promise while gargling a cup of water!
- Do a good deed for someone (what was your good deed?)
- Pat your head and rub your tummy for 3 minutes
- Catch a fish!
All Beavers/Cubs and Scouts were invited to hike one mile (at home), make a donation, and support those who need it most. Together we joined those in the UK and managed to #HikeToTheMoon and helped make a difference in communities across the UK, with BBC Children in Need and Comic Relief. Further details:
There are also a number of initiatives taking place at Section level and your Leaders will be in touch directly
From The Scout Association:
Given new guidance from the Prime Minister, we have suspended all face-to-face Scout meetings, activities and events for the time being.